Marvel actor Jonathan Majors seeks permanent sealing of undercover DA charges

Marvel actor Jonathan Majors seeks permanent sealing of undercover DA charges

After Jonathan Majors pleaded guilty to assault and battery on his ex-girlfriend in Manhattan.
YUKI IWAMURA/AFP via Getty Images

  • Majors pleaded guilty last month to reckless, misdemeanor assault on his ex-girlfriend.
  • Now he is asking a judge to forever seal the secret pretrial proceedings about his personal life.
  • Those records contain uncorroborated allegations that the DA was barred from showing the grand jury, he claims.

As he prepares to be sentenced for domestic violence in Manhattan, Marvel actor Jonathan Majors is hoping to avoid some serious collateral damage — what his lawyer says is the release of “unproven, unsubstantiated” allegations about his personal life by prosecutors pending a secret trial. and court hearings.

Media outlets, including Business Insider, have requested that those documents and transcripts be sealed, now that their content can no longer influence the jury.

But Majors asked the judge to keep them under permanent seal, arguing their release could harm him more than his actual sentencing, which is set for Feb. 6.

The subject of the sealed allegations has not been disclosed, other than it falls under the legal category of prior misdemeanors.

In June, Rolling Stone cited anonymous allegations that Majors had been abusive or abusive in two former college relationships, claims the actor denied. And jurors were allowed to hear about a previous fight between Majors and his then-girlfriend, choreographer Grace Jabbari.

“The media has already demonstrated an almost insatiable appetite for gossip about Mr. Majors,” attorney Priya Chaudhry argued in the actor’s pending sealing motion before Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Michael J. Gaffney.

Chaudhry claims that Majors, who plays Fateh Kang, has already suffered huge reputational damage after his conviction last year for the illegal and reckless assault on Jabbari. Majors was fired as an actor from the Marvel Cinematic Universe immediately after his conviction.

He argued that anything prosecutors alleged in sealed documents and hearings about the majors’ private lives — claims the grand jury was barred from hearing because they would be unduly prejudicial — would have caused further “significant concrete harm.”

Read Majors’ arguments for permanently sealing domestic violence pre-trial documents about his privacy.

Majors, 34, was found guilty on Dec. 18 of recklessly injuring Jabbari, 31, following a romantic argument in March in Manhattan’s Chinatown. He was also found guilty of treason.

He was charged with malicious wounding and acquitted.

Majors’ legal team argued in court that she was the victim of the altercation, not him, and surveillance video proved her injuries from that night occurred hours after the couple parted ways.

“Simply put, granting the news organizations’ requests to seal the records would expose many unsubstantiated, uncorroborated and vociferously contested hearsay allegations,” Chaudhry said, arguing that the filings and transcripts remain sealed.

Majors “will suffer severe punishment in the public arena because the People have decided to present evidence of a nature that this Court deems sufficiently relevant and too prejudicial to be admitted.”

What was “too prejudicial” to the jurors was quite high at trial.

In opening statements, Manhattan prosecutor Michael Perez was allowed to describe Majors as “cruel and manipulative” throughout their relationship.

“He told Grace Jabbari that Coretta had to live up to Scott King and Michelle Obama’s standards, make sacrifices for him. “He told her that she needed to adjust herself the way she needed to.”

Asked for comment, Chaudhry declined, saying, “I trust the documents.” A spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office did not immediately respond when asked if the office had a position on the unsealing.

It is not known whether the judge will decide on this issue during the sentencing or in a written decision.

Anyone who has been affected by abuse and needs support can contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-7233). Advocates are available 24/7 and can also be reached via live chat at thehotline.org or by texting “START” to 88788 or “LOVEIS” to 22522.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *