Fish-eater dies after eating deadly inflatable fish given to him as a gift

Fish-eater dies after eating deadly inflatable fish given to him as a gift

Health


A Brazilian man named Magno Sergio Gomes died tragically after swallowing a poisonous fish containing enough poison to kill 30 people.

“Magno had never cleaned an inflatable fish before,” the deceased’s sister Myrian Gomes Lopes told Newsflash about the tragic accident, which happened over the weekend in Aracruz, Espirito Santa, Newsflash reported.

An unnamed friend had reportedly gifted Magno, 46, with the deadly seafood, although its exact origin remains unclear.

Brazil is reportedly home to 20 species of fish – also known as fish – twelve of which live in Espirito Santa.

Although they had never handled the species before, the Brazilian and his friend gutted the fish, removed its liver, then boiled and ate it with lemon juice.

A Brazilian man named Magno Sergio Gomes died tragically after swallowing a poisonous fish containing enough poison to kill 30 people. stock.adobe.com
Magno Sergio Gomes with his sister Myrian. News flash

Less than an hour later, both Magno and his friend became seriously ill. “Magno started to feel numb in his mouth,” his distraught sister described.

Alarmed, the patient drove himself to the hospital, where the numbness spread and he went into cardiac arrest for 8 minutes.

Magno was specifically suffering from the effects of tetrodotoxin, an extremely potent poison derived from the liver and gonads of fish and other marine species, the US Centers for Disease Control said.

Used by fish to deter predators, the toxin is over 1,000 times more lethal than cyanide with no known antidote.

When ingested in large amounts, it interferes with the “transmission of signals from nerves to muscles” and paralyzes muscles, potentially leading to death.

Gomes had never cleaned before. News flash

Myrian revealed that her brother was intubated and put on life support, but to no avail. Magno died on January 27 after spending 35 days in the hospital, during which his system was paralyzed by the toxin.

“Doctors told our family that he died of poisoning, which had quickly reached his head,” the deceased relative described. “Three days after his admission, he had several seizures, which greatly affected his brain, leaving little chance of recovery.”

Miraculously, Magno’s friend survived, but he has a problem with his legs.

“He doesn’t walk very well,” Myrian said. “He was neurologically affected, but he is recovering.”

Interestingly, raw pufferfish is considered a delicacy in Japan, where it is locally known as fugu.

Foodies reportedly enjoy the slight buzz that comes with ingesting trace amounts of the toxin.

Due to the dangerous nature of the dish, only authorized fugu chefs are allowed to prepare it.

“We pride ourselves on preparing the fish safely,” said Ueno Ken’ichiro, owner of fugu restaurant Fuku no Seki in Yamaguchi Prefecture.

While Japan reportedly sees about 50 cases of poisoning a year, most occur when amateurs try to stab it, as happened with Magno.




Load more…





https://nypost.com/2024/01/30/lifestyle/man-dies-after-eating-deadly-pufferfish-given-to-him-as-present/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20but

Copy the URL to share

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *